Weems Memorial Hospital opened on June 21, 1959 in its current location on Washington Square. But it was not Apalachicola’s first hospital. Historians note that Apalachicola’s first hospital was actually a renovated Army barracks building at the airport with 13 beds, a small obstetrical wing and operative suite. The hospital served the needs of the community from the time of its opening in 1948 until the completion of the new hospital with 25 beds at the present site in 1959.
The site of the current Weems Hospital was once the site of the original Franklin County courthouse. The courthouse was later converted into the health department and operated until it was demolished in 1957 to make way for the new hospital which exists there today.