When you or a loved one need short-term, skilled healthcare services, Weems Memorial Hospital Swing Bed program may be able to provide the care you need.
What is Swing Bed?
Swing Bed is a program that allows patients to receive skilled care services at Weems Memorial Hospital once acute hospital care is no longer required, but the patient continues to need services that cannot be easily provided in the patient's home. The program is designed to assist patients in reaching their highest potential for health and independence prior to returning to their home.
What Services Are Included?
The program is ideal for patients who require skilled physical therapy, IV medication therapy, wound care, or other skilled care services. Types of patients who are candidates for Skilled Nursing/Swing Bed services include, but are not limited to:
- Joint replacements or other orthopedic surgery patients needing frequent physical therapy
- Stroke patients who need to improve their level of functioning with continued therapy
- Cardiac patients needing skilled activity programs following a heart attack or acute episode of congestive heart failure
- Patients requiring wound management/ sterile dressing changes
- Patients with long-term illnesses such as cancer or immune deficiency disease
- Patients recovering from illnesses requiring continued IV therapy
Qualifications for admission to skilled nursing include:
- Three-day (consecutive) acute level of care stay within the past 30 days
- Physician referral for necessary daily skilled service related to hospitalization
- Medicare Part A (Hospital) Benefit or available days remaining in current benefit period
How Long Can I Stay?
The Swing Bed program is considered short-term. The average length of stay is generally one to two weeks. For stays longer than 40 days, the services of a long-term care facility may be more appropriate.
Who Is Eligible?
Swing bed is available to patients who have been hospitalized at Weems Memorial Hospital, or at other facilities outside of the Franklin County. Swing Bed admission requires:
- A three day acute care hospital stay immediately prior to admittance into the Swing Bed program
- Stable medical status
- A daily skilled care need (or five days per week for Rehab), which is directly related to the acute care hospitalization
- Physician authorization
- Participation in Medicare Part A, or other qualified insurance plan
Once a patient is admitted into the Swing Bed program, eligibility is reviewed on a daily basis by the Weems Memorial Hospital staff. To remain in the program, the patient must be participating and making progress, in addition to the criteria listed above.
Who pays for Swing Bed Care?
The Swing Bed program is a hospital-based program. The Weems admission coordinator can verify your insurance coverage. As long as a patient meets the criteria, has days left in the benefit period and the doctor approves the stay, a patient may receive Swing Bed services.